High-level event “Making a decade of action for indigenous languages” (27-28 February 2020, Los Pinos, Mexico City, Mexico)
February 27, 2020 9:00 am - February 28, 2020 5:00 pm
Global | Mexico | Mexico City | Los Pinos, Mexico City, Mexico
Conferences / Advisory
Building on the legacy of the International Year of Indigenous Languages (IYIL2019) and as follow up to a decision on United Nations General Assembly (Ref.: A/C.3/74/L.19/Rev.1), UNESCO and the Government of Mexico, in cooperation with several national, regional and international partners, are organizing a High-level event “Making a decade of action for indigenous languages” on the margins of the International Congress on Endangered Languages from 25 to 26 February 2020 in Mexico City, Mexico.
HIGH-LEVEL EVENT “MAKING A DECADE OF ACTION FOR INDIGENOUS LANGUAGES”
Mexico City, February 27 and 28, Los Pinos, Mexico.
The High-level event will conclude the IYIL2019 with a comprehensive review of the outcomes, lessons learnt on the impact and provide concrete recommendations for the preparatory and transitional process of the International Decade of Indigenous Languages.
The High-level event aims to contribute to the:
- Assessment of the implementation of the Action Plan for Organizing the 2019 International Year of Indigenous Languages (E/C.19/2018/8), in particular to the established roadmap towards achieving strategic objectives and expected impacts based on the Strategic Outcomes Document (UNESCO General Conference 40 C/68);
- Exchange of views on the necessary milestones during a transitional period of 2020 to 2021 and elaboration of a new Global Plan of Action for the organization of the International Decade of Indigenous Languages (2022-2032);
- Setting a future direction for the elaboration of first lines of action of future Global Plan for organization of the International Decade of Indigenous Languages (2023-2032).
The overarching objectives of the High-level in Mexico City are to:
- Bring together a diverse range of stakeholders, including representatives of the national governments, Indigenous peoples, Indigenous organizations, scholars and experts in the field of Indigenous languages, and others for a constructive dialogue on Indigenous languages to assess the impact made towards supporting, supporting and promoting indigenous languages worldwide within the context of the IYIL2019 and the upcoming decade;
- Reflect on the existing challenges, identify practical solutions and good practices, and opportunities among different stakeholders working in language transmission, documentation, safeguarding, policy development, education, research, and promotion and private sector for the elaboration of the future Global Plan of Action of the International Decade of Indigenous Languages; and,
- Raise awareness on the importance of Indigenous languages, linguistic diversity and multilingualism for sustainable development and provide guidance to the stakeholders in the implementation of international, regional and national commitments related to language development and mainstreaming across all domains.
- Present key features of linguistic diversity in Mexico as a part of the development of UNESCO World Atlas of Languages.
INTERNATIONAL CONGRESS OF ENDANGERED LANGUAGES, Mexico City, February 25 and 26, Los Pinos Cultural Centre
The main objective is to establish a constructive dialogue between key agents involved in addressing the problem of threatened languages, based on the presentation and analysis of experiences in favor of linguistic diversity and linguistic rights. In order to do so, the Congress will:
- analyze the international context of indigenous languages to make visible the seriousness of the problem and its causes;
- promote the exchange of experiences that allow the identification and creative design of good practices and policies for multilingualism;
- analyze the importance of the promotion of indigenous languages within the framework of the 2030 Agenda;
- gather a series of conclusions that can enrich the lines of action for the Decade of Indigenous Languages.
To foster an enriching dialogue between the different key agents -indigenous intellectual leaders, public servants and academics- the dialogue will be organized into two categories:
- Experiences of promotion, planning and revitalization from non-governmental initiatives in areas such as education, media, new technologies, social networks, linguistic rights, expressions artistic, community organization, among others;
- Experiences from the public sector to promote linguistic diversity in institutional spaces.
- Concept Note and Programme (PDF)
- Action Plan for organizing the 2019 International Year of Indigenous Languages (Ref.: E/C.19/2018/8);
- Strategic Outcome Document of the International Year of Indigenous Languages, November 2019 (UNESCO General Conference, 40 C/68);
- Rights of indigenous peoples. Report of the Third Committee, 2 December 2019 (A/74/396, paras 24, 25 and 26);
- Resolution adopted by the General Assembly on 17 December 2018 (A/RES/73/156, paras 23, 24 and 25).
- HIGH-LEVEL EVENT “MAKING A DECADE OF ACTION FOR INDIGENOUS LANGUAGES”
Mexico City, February 27 and 28, Los Pinos, Mexico.Online Registration
- Should you require an entry visa to Mexico, press here for English, and press here for Spanish. For frequent questions press here.
SOCIAL MEDIA CAMPAIGN:
Join the IYIL2019 “#IndigenousLanguages” campaign
Twitter : @IYIL2019
Follow on Facebook: @indigenouslanguages @IYIL2019