November 19, 2019 10:00 am - November 21, 2019 4:00 pm
Africa | Uganda | Kampala | Makerere University
Our goal is the protection of language diversity in Uganda and globally.
The event promotes language development and showcases local initiatives which play an important role in the protection and promotion of Ugandan languages. Through the presentation of ongoing work, discussion and workshops we wish to contribute to the 2019 International Year of Indigenous Languages.
The events, lectures and workshops aim to:
- Showcase the situation of language diversity in Uganda;
- Support Ugandan initiatives seeking new avenues for language development and language-resource building;
- Share knowledge, methods and good practices in support of literacy, indigenous language teaching, and digital resource development;
- Discuss ways for language documentation of endangered and less-resourced languages;
- Present modern technological solutions for language documentation, and language technology development;
- Review and discuss key notions and language-related issues and envision a sustainable future for language development in Uganda.