As part of State Library’s commitment to the 2019 International Year of Indigenous Languages, we will be promoting a ‘word of the week’ from one of the 125+ Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander languages and dialects from across Queensland.
State Library’s ‘word of the week’ for Week Eighteen is yakka [pronounced yak-kah], from the Yugarabul language of Boonah and Ipswich. It is derived from ‘yaga’ meaning work / to work and is also recorded in the Yugara language of Brisbane.
- Category: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander languages
- Thematic area: Language learning and teaching
- Call topics: Intergenerational transmission
- Major objective: Thematic areas: Promotion
- Area of intervention: Growth and development through elaboration of new knowledge