As part of State Library’s commitment to the 2019 International Year of Indigenous Languages, we will be promoting a ‘word of the week’ from one of the 125+ Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander languages and dialects from across Queensland.
State Library’s word of the week for week eighteen coincides with Mother’s Day – apu from the Kala Lagaw Ya language of Western Torres Straits meaning ‘mother’. This week’s word was suggested by Mabalene Whap, IKC Coordinator, Seisia.
- Category: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander languages
- Thematic area: Language learning and teaching
- Call topics: Intergenerational transmission
- Major objective: Thematic areas: Promotion
- Area of intervention: Growth and development through elaboration of new knowledge