video | Speaking Place
Speaking Place, a nonprofit based in Maine, USA, works internationally to address critical social issues facing communities. Our principal focus is on documenting and reviving endangered languages, addressing a worldwide trend that has reached crisis proportions.
Building on four decades of experience, our interdisciplinary teams work closely with communities to train local partners in the use of innovative, media-based language and activity documentation methods. Community members learn how to create locally-designed documentation and communication processes and tools to strengthen their language and culture. The results often lead to positive social change. Speaking Place is also active in research and development of child and adult language learning programs set within indigenous and minority cultures.
To learn more and become involved, please visit: https://www.speakingplace.org
- Category: language and culture
- Thematic area: Cultural and Linguistic Continuity
- Call topics: Youth engagement and digital activism
- Major objective: Deliver capacities to take concrete actions and measures to support, access and promote indigenous languages
- Area of intervention: Empower through capacity-building